• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,009 posts in this topic

I think I just bought a comic with a tampered holder, possibly with a switched comic inside. I don't think it is related to the ZaneGlor incident, but I am posting here as an example of holder tampering. The case has obviously been opened and the label looks screwy. Here are some (bad) photos. I'll take better ones later. The registration number matches, but there isn't a photo, so that doesn't tell me anything.

_NIK9907.JPG

_NIK9908.JPG

_NIK9909.JPG

_NIK9910.JPG

_NIK9911.JPG

_NIK9913.JPG

CMA open corner.jpg

CMA Warp.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 4/25/2024 at 6:00 PM, paqart said:

I think I just bought a comic with a tampered holder, possibly with a switched comic inside. I don't think it is related to the ZaneGlor incident, but I am posting here as an example of holder tampering. The case has obviously been opened and the label looks screwy. Here are some (bad) photos. I'll take better ones later. The registration number matches, but there isn't a photo, so that doesn't tell me anything.

_NIK9907.JPG

_NIK9908.JPG

_NIK9909.JPG

_NIK9910.JPG

_NIK9911.JPG

_NIK9913.JPG

CMA open corner.jpg

CMA Warp.jpg

That is normal for an older cases!

That's the Good News!

A little surprised you've never bought an older case, or more surprised I should say. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

For comparison...

I just discovered lighting features on my tablet for dimmer viewing what a difference, but makes this seem an ill comparison, I'd rather paqart have proof, but best "I" can do 😂 

Strength in numbers, maybe others will chime in!

Screenshot_20240425-183333.png

Screenshot_20240425-183757.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/25/2024 at 7:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm also not seeing "obvious signs of tampering"

The case is literally open on the bottom left corner. The entire comic can be slipped out.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:48 PM, paqart said:

The case is literally open on the bottom left corner. The entire comic can be slipped out.

Then please define "open" ??? all that I see is perfectly normal. If the case is cracked is a different story, but everything still looks right, and "could be" just a damaged normal case in need of reholdering. :)

Older slabs are not sealed on the sides, and ARE sealed basically only the four post corners, and you have no picture of the corner separated. Be careful and don't pop the corner just trying to get a picture. :cheers:

Screenshot_20240425_185352_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 4/25/2024 at 7:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then please define "open" ??? all that I see is perfectly normal. If the case is cracked is a different story, but everything still looks right, and "could be" just a damaged normal case in need of reholdering. :)

Older slabs are not sealed on the sides, and ARE sealed basically only the four post corners, and you have no picture of the corner separated. Be careful and don't pop the corner just trying to get a picture. :cheers:

The corner is separated.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm going to use my good camera to get a picture of this. It's basically a microscope. It should be able to do it. When I picked up the slab out of the box, the whole corner opened by about a quarter inch. At rest, it looks like this.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:05 PM, paqart said:

I'm going to use my good camera to get a picture of this. It's basically a microscope. It should be able to do it. When I picked up the slab out of the box, the whole corner opened by about a quarter inch. At rest, it looks like this.

I believe you, however that doesn't mean tampering all the same, so no worries.

Just means an older case that needs reholdering, as everything else checks out.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/25/2024 at 8:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe you, however that doesn't mean tampering all the same, so no worries.

Just means an older case that needs reholdering, as everything else checks out.

I see. I've never seen a case like this before. I took my better shots just now, here they are. You can see that it would be easy to slip the comic out. At least, I think you can see it in the photo where the strip of paper is slipped in from the corner.

CMA 5177214.jpg

CMA 5177215.jpg

CMA 5177216.jpg

Sted Corner.jpg

On 4/26/2024 at 12:32 AM, Ccccccccccccc said:

Paqart is now in the market for a Captain Marvel Aventures #51 in a 5-6 range >.>

No I'm not, but thanks for trying to lend a hand.

On 4/26/2024 at 1:13 AM, Pitboss said:

Looks just fine to me. I prefer older slabs myself so I have tons of them. Maybe corner popped in transit?

Not a chance. This was the best packing job I've ever seen. And if you think it looks fine, maybe you should stop buying pre-opened slabs. I have over 100, and every one of them is sealed tight. This one could lose the comic if picked up by the top two corners.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:37 AM, paqart said:

Not a chance. This was the best packing job I've ever seen. And if you think it looks fine, maybe you should stop buying pre-opened slabs. I have over 100, and every one of them is sealed tight. This one could lose the comic if picked up by the top two corners.

I was speaking of the slab itself looking fine,the label on top (older slabs) is normal. Wavy inner labels is fairly normal. If you're not happy return it or send to CGC for inspection.

Edited by Pitboss
Words

• Administrator

We expect to start making payments for claims very soon. Unfortunately, due to the nature of this issue, this process has taken significantly longer than we ever would have imagined, but we are almost there. We recognize your frustration and sincerely apologize for the delays. We can assure you that we are doing everything we can to make everyone impacted by this incident whole, as quickly as possible. 

On 4/26/2024 at 2:55 AM, Pitboss said:

I was speaking of the slab itself looking fine,the label on top (older slabs) is normal. Wavy inner labels is fairly normal. If you're not happy return it or send to CGC for inspection.

We still have yet to see a picture of the popped corner. 

Again @paqart if that's all it does is being open to slide something under? That is normal. Even the newer new cases were like that but not as severe, and upon inception. You used to be able to slide paper or a torn backing board between to reduce or eliminate newton rings. :cheers:

I would Google a video of cracking a 2nd generation slab, as if you had cracked one open before then you'd know what it looks and feels like.

I still don't doubt you but there is no photographic proof that a corner has popped.

@Pitboss I forget but was the label attached to the inner mylar with these slabs? I see his label could be warped,  which could be to storing conditions or in transit? I still thought the label was sealed in the mylar with the comic.

All that is fact based, but to further say, I don't see you sneaking the comic out and replacing it with just "that" photographic proof of "case 'open'ness".

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/25/2024 at 11:13 PM, paqart said:

I see. I've never seen a case like this before. I took my better shots just now, here they are. You can see that it would be easy to slip the comic out. At least, I think you can see it in the photo where the strip of paper is slipped in from the corner.

CMA 5177214.jpg

CMA 5177215.jpg

CMA 5177216.jpg

Sted Corner.jpg

Again the paper sliding through is normal. The last picture just shows a scratched edge and nothing out of the ordinary.

If picked up by two corners? So you bothered to take a pic but not with the paper over the corner nor pulled apart to show it's popped?

I really think you need to buy cheap first and second edition slabs to crack open to get a feel for it.

You wouldn't be able to still open the slab enough to exchange mylar sleeved books without major damage to the book. And you wouldn't be able to reseal that slab well enough to fool cgc if it were were really broke. 

Because they were tamper evident not tamper proof.