• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipped Wrong Artwork - Trying To Get It Back From Karl Dignam at The Grid Games in Manchester, CT
2 2

105 posts in this topic

So I sent the wrong artwork to an Ebay buyer, and didn't realize it until a few days after delivery - I did not hear from him when he received the package, and I sent an email apologizing and asking if he could return it for the correct one. Of course, I'm paying return shipping - but did not hear back anything the past two days. This morning, I offered to initiate a return with return shipping - in case he was worried that I wasn't on the up-and-up and wouldn't send him the actual artwork he bought. I also offered to cash him back a little bit for the hassle - which I understand, it is a hassle and it's my mistake.

Now, while I can imagine that I'm likely screwed (the page is probably construed as slightly better than the one he purchased for $250, and the other one is maybe only $100 or more in value, but my point of contention is that it's from my personal collection, not something I was selling) - this guy owns a comic shop. I still have hopes that he'll have a little sympathy for the situation and work it out. But if not, does someone make light of the situation and call him out publicly (after an adequate amount of response time passes) - or do you just shrug your shoulders and accept the mistake?

Edited by Dr. Balls

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 11:16 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

My first instinct is that I would shrug, swear a little bit, and then accept the mistake if I was in your shoes Dr Balls. The artwork that you sent in error couldn't have had any sentimental value for you to have made the mistake in the first place and you're only - and I say 'only' in recognition of the fact that that might be an awful lot to some - an estimated $100 down. Hopefully the buyer will respond, as any decent person would do. But it doesn't feel right to me to 'out' and make a public deal out of something that started with your own mistake. If that outing was here, there'd be a pile on, and it could turn out nasty if they finally respond with an explanation that potentially then puts you in a bad light. It's tempting, obviously - they may be deliberately turning you over - but not worth the rancour. I'd move on. 

:foryou: Yeah, that was my initial feeling - which is why I wanted to ask some opinions here in case I was not seeing another angle (which you pointed out). There's still time for the guy to respond, and I guess we'll see what he does.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/20/2024 at 6:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

:foryou: Yeah, that was my initial feeling - which is why I wanted to ask some opinions here in case I was not seeing another angle (which you pointed out). There's still time for the guy to respond, and I guess we'll see what he does.

My second instinct is to get a crew together and go to his shop. 

On 7/20/2024 at 6:57 PM, JC25427N said:

That sucks balls :(

Did you mean "That sucks, balls" or "That sucks balls, Balls"?

On 7/20/2024 at 12:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

So I sent the wrong artwork to an Ebay buyer, and didn't realize it until a few days after delivery - I did not hear from him when he received the package, and I sent an email apologizing and asking if he could return it for the correct one. Of course, I'm paying return shipping - but did not hear back anything the past two days. This morning, I offered to initiate a return with return shipping - in case he was worried that I wasn't on the up-and-up and wouldn't send him the actual artwork he bought. I also offered to cash him back a little bit for the hassle - which I understand, it is a hassle and it's my mistake.

Now, while I can imagine that I'm likely screwed (the page is probably construed as slightly better than the one he purchased for $250, and the other one is maybe only $100 or more in value, but my point of contention is that it's from my personal collection, not something I was selling) - this guy owns a comic shop. I still have hopes that he'll have a little sympathy for the situation and work it out. But if not, does someone make light of the situation and call him out publicly (after an adequate amount of response time passes) - or do you just shrug your shoulders and accept the mistake?

Where is the shop? It's simple enough for one of us who is close to go and ask on your behalf.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:50 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Where is the shop? It's simple enough for one of us who is close to go and ask on your behalf.

If Magnum PI turned up in my shop looking for misappropriated art, I'd be giving it back pretty damn quick.

On 7/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That sucks more because your such a standout seller . I mean you do such a great job at sending items in the mean postal system .It seems like eventually if the buyer does not want to come around , I would give it 2 weeks which is being generous . It seems most likely moving on is the best choice however after that much time has passed offering the buyer another 100.00 to ship it back probably going to come with conditions , conditions which may not have the trust meter pegged on your side .I really hope he will do the right thing !

On 7/20/2024 at 1:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

The recipient of the art is a Comic Shop Owner, not to say they don't exist but I've never met even a remotely honest one. That includes a friend of mine.

Well that sucks the friend of yours , have you ever let him know what you truly thought ? I have a acquaintance somewhat friend comic book dealer in the area . I pay more then him but I really don't hustle the streets anymore very much .I went to look at this collection which at the time was priced aggressively at the time and so did he the Comic Book friend dealer . I called up the seller again one evening after a week or so and asked if it had sold ? He told me not yet had some look it over pretty hard and was offered half on what he was asking so I offered him a couple hundred more and said okay he would take it . The other dealer informed him to not let me cherry pick it but to sell it whole as I was the accused cherry picker (shrug) which of course I am not I always buy the whole collection and have every intention to , when I buy .This dealer friend has multiple spots where he displays his books and guess what I always go cherry pick and flip for good dollars . It is a new Hobby in life for me lol Although I believe he might offer to low I think him to be a good guy that I cherry pick now .I would now like to change my name to Cherry Picker but don't think that is gonna sound good .:insane:

On 7/20/2024 at 5:03 PM, Axelrod said:

I would have NO hesitation in "outing" someone who I sent something by mistake and who then refused to return it, even though I was offering to pay all the shipping costs. 

That guy would suck BALLS and deserve no consideration. 

^^^^^THIS 100%^^^^^

Yeah, after a decent amount of time you might as well let folks know there is a possibility that this guy is ghosting you over a $100 difference…

You don’t have to go out of your way to make it / him sound any worse than it is… just let the facts speak for themselves…

Sure, he could chime in talking about his sick dog or how his computer crashed, or his car broke down and he couldn’t go to the PO (as guys like this always seem to do).  He may try to make you sound like the unreasonable person, but I think we’ll all see through that and maybe in the process you get your art back.  I, for one, would rather not deal with a guy like that.

I’m sure this is frustrating so good luck whatever you decide!

On 7/20/2024 at 2:24 PM, gregreece said:

I'm in the other camp. I'd allow plenty of time but if the guy tries to cash in on an honest mistake, I'd light him up. Best of luck!

Then you'd probably end up facing criminal charges.

Unless the law has changed recently--and I don't think it has--then the person who received the artwork is now the legal owner of it and has no legal obligation to return it.

My mother worked for the USPS for many years, and part of her career dealing with high-value packages on a daily basis. This exact situation arose from time to time, and without exception, the person who made the errant shipment had no recourse. Some mistakes are costly.