• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, buttock said:

Which scanner did you go with?  I loved your old scans.  

Our old scanner was a Microtek 820i. It was great but we wore out the motor, can't find replacement parts, and the company has completely discontinued supporting them. In fact, because of the huge strides in camera technology, it is kind of hard to find new flat-bed scanners at all as hardly anyone is making them.

The new one is called a Plustek Optic Pro A320E. It is a great size with a surface area big enough to scan flat pieces up to 11X17. But obviously we need to work with the settings a little more.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:48 AM, MrBedrock said:

Our old scanner was a Microtek 820i. It was great but we wore out the motor, can't find replacement parts, and the company has completely discontinued supporting them. In fact, because of the huge strides in camera technology, it is kind of hard to find new flat-bed scanners at all as hardly anyone is making them.

The new one is called a Plustek Optic Pro A320E. It is a great size with a surface area big enough to scan flat pieces up to 11X17. But obviously we need to work with the settings a little more.

That's frustrating.  I'm using an HP 8200 series and have a similar issue with red, blue, and yellow, but only when that's the dominant color on the cover.  I was considering the Plustek, but doesn't seem like it's the cure.  

On 2/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, buttock said:

That's frustrating.  I'm using an HP 8200 series and have a similar issue with red, blue, and yellow, but only when that's the dominant color on the cover.  I was considering the Plustek, but doesn't seem like it's the cure.  

It is frustrating because the Microtek was so good. The scans looked back-lit, there was no glare (that was the big issue with our HP 8200), and we didn't have to jack with the colors at all. It is really a bummer that they decided to discontinue it.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, MrBedrock said:

Just back from CGC

(Testing a new scanner...)

I don't think you passed. (:

On 2/22/2023 at 10:48 AM, MrBedrock said:

I've had that in my Amazon cart for over a year, awaiting confirmation of the color fidelity of the scans. 

I think I will wait a bit longer. 

Edited by adamstrange

On 6/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, batman_fan said:

Just added this to my collection.

Original plan was to put it in my comic room but after seeing how heavy it is (300+ pounds), I think it will be in my workshop.

It does need some restoration but that is part of the fun.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.58.22 PM.png

Nothing better than some Coke and then a smile!

Great pickup!

On 2/22/2023 at 11:59 AM, zzutak said:

Here's a side-by side comparison with my Microtek i800 scan (which is a very accurate representation of my book's "true" appearance).  We report, you decide.  :foryou:  :hi:

165518367_AdW06-B.jpg.3755f006a7c479b589467b7915bb80fb.jpg  1270440730_AdW06-60-MH.thumb.jpg.fe3abd524d8ca6b29b09b08adaef31f9.jpg

Is he a Yeti or a skeleton? Very cool cover!