• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

Why are these Detolf's so expensive to ship!!! Holy Cow...St. Louis needs a Ikea store bad!

That are HEAVY!!! I went and got one Saturday afternoon at our IKEA and my back and left knee is still hurting from wrestling it into the backseat of my car and then dragging it into the house :censored:

The thing is pretty sweet though and easy to put together. Only downside for me was they were out of the lighter colored ones and I had to get the darker colored top. Once I get the room completely organized, I'm definitely getting at least 1 more. I do wish the shelf heights were adjustable though since they aren't tall enough for some of my Bowen statues. For comics though, they are freaking AWESOME! (thumbs u

$349 to ship though :( I could drive to chicago and get one and be nowhere near that price...I might go if it wasn't 4.5 hours away or so

Edited by Murphy_5

I picked up one on eBay for $160 shipped....nearest Ikea is 3 hours away, so I figure that's a hell of a deal.

Bad thing is UPS destroyed the first one, so the seller got their money back and I'm getting a new one tomorrow!

I picked up one on eBay for $160 shipped....nearest Ikea is 3 hours away, so I figure that's a hell of a deal.

Bad thing is UPS destroyed the first one, so the seller got their money back and I'm getting a new one tomorrow!

yeah, the way the glass is packed in it, i'd say you have AT BEST a 50/50 shot of it arriving intact. Things like that are impossible to ship without breaking. When i 1st set up my saltwater aquarium like 7-8 years ago, i had to order a 6 foot long light fixture. No exaggeration, it took FIVE attempts to have one arrive that didnt have all the bulbs inside shattered! It was literally like a 4 month ordeal having them ship to me, ship the broken one back, ship to me, ship back on and on and on! :pullhair:

I'd bet money if you had one of those Detolfs shipped, it would arrive with broken glass hm

yeah, the way the glass is packed in it, i'd say you have AT BEST a 50/50 shot of it arriving intact. Things like that are impossible to ship without breaking. When i 1st set up my saltwater aquarium like 7-8 years ago, i had to order a 6 foot long light fixture. No exaggeration, it took FIVE attempts to have one arrive that didnt have all the bulbs inside shattered! It was literally like a 4 month ordeal having them ship to me, ship the broken one back, ship to me, ship back on and on and on! :pullhair:

I'd bet money if you had one of those Detolfs shipped, it would arrive with broken glass hm

True....we'll find out tomorrow and keep our fingers crossed! :wishluck:

IT MADE IT INTACT AND IN 1 PIECE! Well....multiple pieces and it was a BEAST to put together.

That sucker weighed close to 100 lbs. and it was like dragging a dead body. So I unpacked it and it was actually packed really well!

So well I will try my luck again and order another one!

Funny thing though...it almost didn't survive. Just like anything IKEA I swear you have to be Swedish to understand how it all goes together sometimes.

This has to be built right and tight. I am right and tight. I got it all together and thought it was ready to go. Loaded it with some slabs, Six Million Dollar Man figures.

Walked into the kitchen to get some water and heard the loudest crash. OH S H IT!

But amazingly enough everything was fine! No broken glass, but everything was at the bottom of he case and the side glass had worked it's way out of the channel cause the top shelf was just barely out of the groove.

So I took it apart, got everything re-seated 100%, tightened it down and it's good to go now!

Whew.....

IT MADE IT INTACT AND IN 1 PIECE! Well....multiple pieces and it was a BEAST to put together.

That sucker weighed close to 100 lbs. and it was like dragging a dead body. So I unpacked it and it was actually packed really well!

So well I will try my luck again and order another one!

Funny thing though...it almost didn't survive. Just like anything IKEA I swear you have to be Swedish to understand how it all goes together sometimes.

This has to be built right and tight. I am right and tight. I got it all together and thought it was ready to go. Loaded it with some slabs, Six Million Dollar Man figures.

Walked into the kitchen to get some water and heard the loudest crash. OH S H IT!

But amazingly enough everything was fine! No broken glass, but everything was at the bottom of he case and the side glass had worked it's way out of the channel cause the top shelf was just barely out of the groove.

So I took it apart, got everything re-seated 100%, tightened it down and it's good to go now!

Whew.....

Well done :applause:

Pictures :shy:

Why are these Detolf's so expensive to ship!!! Holy Cow...St. Louis needs a Ikea store bad!

That are HEAVY!!! I went and got one Saturday afternoon at our IKEA and my back and left knee is still hurting from wrestling it into the backseat of my car and then dragging it into the house :censored:

Detolfs are awesome, but are definitely heavy, so shipping should cost and arm and a leg, IMO.

The worst was when I bought a floor sample for $30 from an Ikea near me and lugged it in my car by myself and somehow got it inside my little Honda Civic coupe. Definitely should have thought that one through. It got home safe (thanks to the tough tempered glass on it), so I no complaints, I guess.

Edited by lemonman5

Detolfs are awesome, but are definitely heavy, so shipping should cost and arm and a leg, IMO.

The worst was when I bought a floor sample for $30 from an Ikea near me and lugged it in my car by myself and somehow got it inside my little Honda Civic coupe. Definitely should have thought that one through. It got home safe (thanks to the tough tempered glass on it), so I no complaints, I guess.

lol

I know that feeling! I went by myself and wrestled the box into my small car and had to roll down the back window and have like a foot of it sticking out the window. I was definitely cursing myself for not bringing my wife big Infinity as i spent like 15 minutes in 95 degree heat sweating my off trying to figure out a way to get it to fit into my back seat doh!

$160 with free shipping on eBay....that's where I got mine. Can't beat that.