• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,217 posts in this topic

The cover proofs can be pretty neat.  The other side is blank and sometimes it seems the image is better than on the final product.  They're often kept very well, too.  I only have a couple and don't know how their value compares to copy of a magazine itself.  The spine design on the Spicy lines is so damn cool.

Here's some info on the Marvel Tales:

https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/marvel_tales

I don't believe I've seen one before (in scans or in person, but it's possible the scans are out there).  That's the last issue, and all the covers for it I see have the 15 cent stamp marked out and the 25 cent stamp just like that one.

Nice haul on the FFM, way to get em while they are hot and in nice shape to boot.

That August 1946 cover is by Lawrence Stevens and is pretty hellish.  Only a couple copies on eBay right now which is far fewer than most issues from the year.  For a title of reprinted stories, FFM sure has incredible covers.

I'm skeptical of what exactly is up with the bottom mock-up and regarding a date, but it is intriguing.

Edited by Darwination

On 11/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, PopKulture said:

With all the new interest in pulps, I started to convince myself I’d find less and less, and while that may prove true in the long run, I was happy to find these reasonably priced at an antique mall in Ohio. 

The romance pulps are from the mid to late-50s, and I’ve seen many more from the 30s and 40s over the years leading me to believe the print runs were but a fraction of decades earlier.

7F4ECED0-292C-482E-9F63-07A05DC868E9.jpeg

I rarely see romance pulps in the wild. A few years ago I passed on these at $10. each…:facepalm:

IMG_4917.jpeg

On 11/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, Robot Man said:

I rarely see romance pulps in the wild. A few years ago I passed on these at $10. each…:facepalm:

IMG_4917.jpeg

You didn't cherry-pick some high grade issues or killer covers???  I'm sitting here *tweaking* that I can't reach out and look through that bookshelf right now :D

I swear when I'm in flea markets and antique malls I say the word "pulp" and get a blank stare, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I think love pulps are going to see a bit of a rise.  They remain the least read genre (even if some were very popular back when), but the interest by public and researchers seems to be rising (recent book on Daisy Bacon, etc.).  There's a lot of crossover with a publisher like Ace between the painted covers on the comics and the covers of the pulps, so the romance comics crowd (ok, not a huge crowd) should see the appeal.