• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 11:35 AM, Robert_L said:
On 5/11/2022 at 7:07 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I agree eBay fees are high, but you can't find a bigger comic-buying audience anywhere. 

I sell on MySlabs and eBay.  Guess which one has traffic. 

The 1% seller fee is great... but would be better if stuff sold. 

I've had about a dozen items on there, priced about 10% lower than on Ebay, and sold zero items...The Ebay items sell first and then I remove them from Myslabs inventory. They can't say I am not trying...

This is really it. They have the audience. Eventually Facebook will figure it out and take a larger chunk from ebay. Right there are too many issues there. 

Ebay is easy to use. I can sell in multiple areas like I am right now. I am selling in our modern/copper section here and will be for another month while at the same time selling other books on ebay

Until you find somewhere else that has a large audience this is it. Whatapp has potential, but I dont have that type of immediate time to do something like that. IG and FB both have good sales, but just like ebay it will take you awhile to build up a customer base. 

The markup on comics is very nice. Ebay's % means nothing to me when alot of it you can write off on your taxes. 

On 5/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, evilskip said:

Thanks for the info. Usually when I decline an offer I send a little note explaining why. That probably has some sellers asking "who is this insufficiently_thoughtful_person?"

As a seller, I almost always send an offer when the option is available to me, and I'd love it if people told me why they decided to decline! Actually I'd love it more if they'd just accept... xD

On 5/26/2022 at 11:08 AM, Kramerica said:

IMO Facebook is garbage and the equivalent of the Wild Wild West. Your odds of buying from someone who has been kicked off eBay for one reason or another are high. And on top of that everyone has an opinion. The Peanut Gallery and Media Mail Police are out in full force because they don't have anything better to do. The FB format and setting just isn't set up for selling and ultimately the number of eyeballs you get on FB is infestisimal compared to eBay.

I think the format could work and the potential for eyes on your books is there but their algorithm is so wonky and hard to figure out that things get easily skipped over.  From what I can gather, your engagement within the groups and how many likes and comments you get on your posts are what drives traffic.  

I really miss the days of chronological posting on FB and IG.  Too bad that doesn't contribute to addiction the way they want it to :tonofbricks:

On 5/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, NP_Gresham said:

As a buyer, I would never buy on FB or any other venue without protection. It took me a while here before I knew who to trust.

Ebay protects the buyer and any ‘savings’ from FB or other venues quickly evaporate when some scammer takes the money and runs

Bingo. 

Plus for me, there's that other cringy thought.... creating a FB account. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Beastfeast said:

Anyone else having a BIG drop in listing views over the last few weeks?  I'm constantly adding new things and they are pretty in-demand books.  I'm talking 20+% decline.  

eBay only shows 30 days views…. But eBay action is STONE COLD right now lol

Edited by littledoom

On 5/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Beastfeast said:

Anyone else having a BIG drop in listing views over the last few weeks?  I'm constantly adding new things and they are pretty in-demand books.  I'm talking 20+% decline.  

I think stock market declines and a slowing RE market may be trickling down to the collectibles market.

After a year off from selling on eBay, I have a couple of things I need to sell and they seem to be my “best” option. 

So I created a separate checking account just for eBay selling and of course eBay isn’t linking to the account. It’s like they know there’s no money in there for them to steal. 

I checked with my bank today and there’s nothing blocking eBay’s access on their end. 

Anybody have this problem and know the work-around for it?  Tried the Search function and gave up after a couple of pages of posts that have nothing to do with this. 

I don’t think eBay even has a customer service number listed on their site anymore. 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:44 PM, Number 6 said:

After a year off from selling on eBay, I have a couple of things I need to sell and they seem to be my “best” option. 

So I created a separate checking account just for eBay selling and of course eBay isn’t linking to the account. It’s like they know there’s no money in there for them to steal. 

I checked with my bank today and there’s nothing blocking eBay’s access on their end. 

Anybody have this problem and know the work-around for it?  Tried the Search function and gave up after a couple of pages of posts that have nothing to do with this. 

I don’t think eBay even has a customer service number listed on their site anymore. 

I had an issue and was able to get them on the phone using this page: https://www.ebay.com/help/call_us?type=ContactUs&topicId=4000

I can't quite remember, but I think I had to do an online chat first and then they escalated it to a phone call on their end...

On 5/27/2022 at 7:09 PM, littledoom said:

Are promoted listings worth it?

I think they are. Depends on what you're selling and how much you're willing to pay to promote. I sell a lot of lower-end stuff, between $25-150. The cost is fairly minimal and I've found it increases views and offers. I just consider it in my pricing before I list, knowing that I promote everything I list.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, Beastfeast said:

I recently listed something and a few hours later it showed 3 watchers and only one “view”. Explain that to me? I think the “views” are a bit wonky sometimes.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:18 PM, lightninglad said:

I recently listed something and a few hours later it showed 3 watchers and only one “view”. Explain that to me? I think the “views” are a bit wonky sometimes.

I had 4 sales today, and out of those the one with the most "views" said it had 6 views. So either I'm so lucky that basically the first people who see my listings decide to buy, or something is wonky.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I think they are. Depends on what you're selling and how much you're willing to pay to promote. I sell a lot of lower-end stuff, between $25-150. The cost is fairly minimal and I've found it increases views and offers. I just consider it in my pricing before I list, knowing that I promote everything I list.

Paying $1-2 on a $30 comic seems expensive.. I'd only promote extremely abundant comics.. I wouldn't see a reason to promote a rare book that is the only copy listed on ebay

On 5/27/2022 at 9:39 PM, littledoom said:

Paying $1-2 on a $30 comic seems expensive.. I'd only promote extremely abundant comics.. I wouldn't see a reason to promote a rare book that is the only copy listed on ebay

Yeah, I guess. My philosophy is I can wait to try to sell it for $30, or pay a $1 to sell it sooner and get $29. Even on the rarer books, the promotion seems to get more looks. I try to maintain a minimum margin of 2x my money on what I sell, and most of the time, I shoot for at least 3x. On a lot of my books, I have plenty of room where I'm making 4x or more, so if an extra $1 in fees moves the books, it's worth it to me.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Do you stick to the 4.1% ad rate or bump or lower it? What is a good rate? I'd essentially want to be at the top of search results lol