• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2021 at 1:15 PM, ttfitz said:

Given how shocked I am when I have time to refresh a page and I haven't gotten a "kav has responded to your post" notification, maybe it's the definition of "long time" that you have a problem with. :baiting:

does it mean like 5 minutes?

On 10/27/2021 at 2:21 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

The 'like' feature is useful. Ok people play their games with it in a passive aggressive way, but to some extent it does cut down on verbal conflict.

Also if you appreciate a post, you can just 'like' it to show your appreciation, and it stops threads being clogged up with unnecessary back slapping IMO.

2c 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, COI said:

In a forum like this, I  like it because you can acknowledge posts you like but don't necessarily have a response for, without bogging the thread down with responses consisting of a single emoticon. 

It's a psychological problem if you're a teenage girl. :baiting:

I am 100% on board with posting a 'LIKE' to be able to acknowledge a post rather than respond to it. It saves time, doesn't clog the thread and keeps things flowing.

The problem is that those 'LIKE' buttons have been shown and proven to have a negative effect on society over all through social media. Why? Because of ill intent.

There's more people who may want to disrupt someone's posts with bad intent than there with the 1 or 2 people that may agree with ta post and this swings it's value into the negative.

I think an ideal solution would actually be to JUST have a 'LIKE' button - maybe the  Like

But then do away with the others, which can be abused. Kind of hard to abuse just one button which can be used for acknowledgement or liking and nothing else.

The problem is all the other buttons (including the laughing one) which can be used for negative replies and ill intent.

I actually just thought of this as I was typing this post and I think just the one button is a great idea.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, VintageComics said:

I am 100% on board with posting a 'LIKE' to be able to acknowledge a post rather than respond to it. It saves time, doesn't clog the thread and keeps things flowing.

The problem is that those 'LIKE' buttons have been shown and proven to have a negative effect on society over all through social media. Why? Because of ill intent.

There's more people who may want to disrupt someone's posts with bad intent than there with the 1 or 2 people that may agree with ta post and this swings it's value into the negative.

I think an ideal solution would actually be to JUST have a 'LIKE' button - maybe the  Like

But then do away with the others, which can be abused. Kind of hard to abuse just one button which can be used for acknowledgement or liking and nothing else.

The problem is all the other buttons (including the laughing one) which can be used for negative replies and ill intent.

I actually just thought of this as I was typing this post and I think just the one button is a great idea.

You're way behind the times.

Where were you when we had a massive Boards debate over this some months ago? The laughing emoji was removed and then re-instated due to the backlash.

Everyone loves that little guy.

You're idea is a dud, and was proved to be a dud.

You must have been on vacation. :baiting:

Edited by G G © ® ™

On 10/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

You're way behind the times.

Where were you when we had a massive Boards debate over this some months ago? The laughing emoji was removed and then re-instated due to the backlash.

Everyone loves that little guy.

You're idea is a dud, and was proved to be a dud.

You must have been on vacation. :baiting:

When I'm not here I'm usually having too good of a time in real life to log in, so stuff it! lol

I was here for the debate. In fact, I was one of the ones who brought attention to it.

EDIT: I may have missed that thread but I did discuss it with moderators in detail.

It's an accepted fact that these sorts of features are only here because they help engage users on the host's site and greater engagement = greater revenue from advertisers etc.

It's also an accepted that these things have a negative effect on society over all. For example, the 'like' feature on Facebook has been attributed to the 2011/2012 spike of children self mutilating because it affected their perception of popularity to the outside world. My own children were in that demographic and experienced this. There are many other things we can talk about within the scope of this discussion but they're not really for this thread.

Yes, it's a nice feature but it DOES have it's drawbacks. They are primarily around because they increase revenue.

Edited by VintageComics

I think its a red herring over deeper issues-kids mutilating themselves because they dont get likes.  when I was a kid we experienced actual often violent vicious bullying-sometimes from teachers.  PE teacher used to sic football players on me for beatdowns in front of the class.  No one went around cutting themselves.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:12 PM, VintageComics said:

I can't prove this, but I believe alcohol might be the most common variable when you look at the garden variety type of calamities individuals suffer; accidents, random violence, domestic disturbances, etc. That doesn't mean most people shouldn't have wine at the dinner table (even though wine sucks).

Some people can't stop themselves from breaking things. Negative replies and ill intent don't go away when you remove buttons. Sort of like how censoring language doesn't fix anything.

Edited by COI

I have come to the conclusion that after my participation in this thread, I am no longer a lurker.  Then again, I don’t post every day either.  So does that make me a creeper?? (shrug)

7D1529FB-F255-4D52-A937-6069251DF2C7.jpeg

Edited by Galen130

On 10/27/2021 at 1:42 AM, ThothAmon said:

Truthfully, I write a lot of posts that I never hit send. I try to follow the adage “better to be thought the fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

I can be exactly the opposite.  I look at a post I've made and often, soon after, think it's sophomoric, banal or just a bit rubbish, and doesn't work, and delete / hide it.  Sudden mood changes and OCD do that.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, NoMan said:

The internet is basically a sewer. Sure there's nuggets of gold here and there, but it's a challenge to find them and sometimes I'm just not up to the challenge.

...and this thread is a perfect case-in-point that the juice is rarely worth the squeeze when it comes to the internet/social media/forum-kinda places

Edited by NoMan

On 10/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That has always baffled me, that post counts are bothersome?

It's like people don't know that there have been grading contests and SO MANY OTHER CONTESTS, that require posting.....

Santa, raffles, and even the given example of the PGM forum.

BUT some are like, gee that person has a lot of posts! 

And, a few years ago, there was the graemlin fad, where thousands of single graemlin posts padded out some counts.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

Sadly, I strongly suspect there are posters who do all they can to be on the leaderboard. So much so, that they check it numerous times a day to see their progress and try to post things that elicit likes.

Others are on the leaderboard the natural way. They post things that people enjoy.