• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Went to the Salvation Army a few times in the last few weeks. Found a nice Copper ASM, Power Pack (Spidey and Hobgoblin app.), and a Byrne Wolverine. Went again and found a couple Archies stashed behind some other books, got those along with the Marvels for 69 cents each. Also found an All-Star Batman and Robin TPB for 2.99. It has a cover price of $27 CAD so I think I did pretty good. Great read too.

Nothing but TPBs/Prestige this weekend, but all good for $1 each:

Batman Death In the Family

Catwoman : The CatFile

Batman Adventures : Mad Love (3rd Print)

Killing Joke (10th)

Greatest Alan Moore Stories

Miller's Elektra

Man, that's a great deal for $1 each. That'd keep me in reading mode for a couple months as I stockpile stuff to read.

Not really a deal, but I saw that Dollar Tree store has bagged comics on sale. Saw in the end caps comic books bagged with a card. Took a look and saw mostly 80s and 90s dreck (Warlord, Superman, New Universe). I did end up buying one that had Iron Man 288 (the one from 1992 with War Machine with the silver foil cover) just to remember the stuff I used to buy like crazy when I was a kid...$2.99 cover price!

Guy told me on the phone he had "a whole bunch of comics from the 60s and 70s and some from the 1990s as well. In total about 450 books and I just want $300 for all"

I get there, he's a really nice guy, 1990s drek mostly with a hand full of 12 cent low grade DCs, and a 9.8 looking Marvel Comics Presents 1. I asked him if he'd be willing to break anything up and he said no so I passed on the whole thing.

Saw a fairly large collection of MADs at an Antique Mall in St Louis, but being my collection has a no-magazine policy (to avoid vastness) I didn't pick any up. Prominent was the 5th anniversary issue and a song book for '59, I think.

So I dropped by an estate sale less than a block from my house and came across a large collection of Avalon Hill and a few other companies board games. At $5.00 each I had to make an offer and got 21 games for $75.00.

Not comics but a cool find nonetheless.

IMG_4211.jpg

are those actually worth anything now? I still have about 10 of those games

Small stack of 80's indy books at a garage sale this weekend, including a batch of high grade Silverwolf comics!

Also picked up an Avengers 50 and four Superboy 12 centers for $.50 each, VG to Fine ish condition.

Here's a small flea market haul from PA today...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything's Archie" LP:

This is the second Archies LP (on two different labels... (shrug) ), including six songs written or co-written by the great Jeff Barry (ex-husband and songwriting partner of the late, great Ellie Greenwich), with vocals by Ron Dante, and the whole shebang produced by Barry himself.

And don't let the cartoon/bubble gum origins fool you: this is first-rate '60s pop-rock, separated musically and spiritually from the Ramones only by about seven years and the level of distortion on the guitars. Absolutely brilliant...and iconoclastic as hell in 1969. Rock-and-Roll, in other words!!! :headbang:

archies.jpg

Whitman variants and a Dynabrite:

wdcs.jpg

uncle-scrooge.jpg

dynabrite.jpg

Oh yeah...I almost forgot: my family and I were taking a break in the square in downtown Gettysburg late this afternoon when I saw a guy walk out of a local restaurant (about 10 feet from where we were sitting) who looked an awful lot like Bruce "Army of Darkness" Campbell. Turns out it was Bruce Campbell. He was in Gettysburg for this:

http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/celebrities.html

Pretty surprising and funny...my wife had never heard of him, but I thought it was cool...

Here's a small flea market haul from PA today...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything's Archie" LP:

This is the second Archies LP (on two different labels... (shrug) ), including six songs written or co-written by the great Jeff Barry (ex-husband and songwriting partner of the late, great Ellie Greenwich), with vocals by Ron Dante, and the whole shebang produced by Barry himself.

And don't let the cartoon/bubble gum origins fool you: this is first-rate '60s pop-rock, separated musically and spiritually from the Ramones only by about seven years and the level of distortion on the guitars. Absolutely brilliant...and iconoclastic as hell in 1969. Rock-and-Roll, in other words!!! :headbang:

archies.jpg

Whitman variants and a Dynabrite:

wdcs.jpg

uncle-scrooge.jpg

dynabrite.jpg

Today I saw a table of comics in a used furniture store. They were almost all unbagged. LOTS of Copper Age indies, a stack of SSOC and Epic Illustrated, and a handful of signed 90's bad girl comics. I was excited not only because I found comics in a flea market, but they were comics I was actually interested in. I mady myself a stack of 70 or 80 comics and then asked the lady what she wanted for them. She said five bucks each :sick: So I walked away. I'll have to keep an eye on that place though. I would be willing to pay between 50 cents and $2 each for a handful of that stuff and I know she's not going to sell any of that indy stuff in the neighborhood she's in (3rd poorest city in California, over 97% Hispanic/Latino, sanctuary city where the English language is not common so not many people can even read that stuff), especially not at $5 each.

...I made myself a stack of 70 or 80 comics and then asked the lady what she wanted for them. She said five bucks each... :sick:

Yeah man, I know the feeling. There are usually better deals on books like that at shows, or (frequently) here in the Marketplace. I know for a fact that I often sell big reader lots in particular at lower prices here than you're likely to get at the typical flea market.

It's ironic--and more than slightly amusing--that sellers who know their stuff generally have better prices than sellers who don't know shizz from shinola...

I e-mailed the thrift store last night and said I wasn't willing to pay $5 per comic but if they wanted to sell me some at 50 cents to a dollar each I was interested. They e-mailed back and said to come in today and see if we can work out a deal. He tried to sell me the entire collection (about 500-600 comics from copper to modern with a bronze here and there, nothing high grade, lots of signed "bad girl" comics with and without certificates and about four thick binders of comic cards) for $200. I said no thanks and started pulling what I wanted. He said he wasn't budging on the signed stuff, $5 each. Maybe one or two of them was worth it but I wasn't going to pay it. I left behind a stack of Lady Death and Dawn comics with sigs on them, a few sketches of characters I'm not familiar with by artists I'm not familiar with, and a signed Cherry 19 that I was almost tempted to buy even though I already have a signed Cherry 19. I ended up taking home a lot of Copper Age bargain bin fodder. Marvel Fanfare, Conan The Barbarian, Elflord, Samurai, and so on. I'm happy with it because I love this stuff. This is the stuff that I thought might interest others on here though

2s67n05.jpg

I paid 50 cents each for all this stuff. The mags aren't high grade but I am meaning to collect Epic Illustrated and SSOC, and the Warrens are just cool. The New Mutants are in pretty good shape. Maybe VF-NM and the ashcans are about the same, maybe a little better. Nothing worth a fortune but pretty neat for 50 cents each :)

Though not comics, they are somewhat related. Picked up these 2 Treasury sized poster books for $4 each. 2 days ago , someone sold them for $40 each on ebay. Guess where mine are going!

Picture174.jpg

Also picked up a VG JLA 37 for $5 as well as 100 bagged & boarded recent books for $45. Included 28 Brubaker Caps starting with #1 and ASM 481-543 missing only 2 issues plus 4 I left as I had the TPB.