• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 12:16 AM, lou_fine said:

And sometimes there is also money to be gained, especially if you can use the earlier copy as a stepping stone to push your later copy to possibly a even higher level than it would have acheived without that stepping stone.  hm  

In watching those videos, I somehow get the feeling that the son never really got into the comic book market before this and he is simply learning on the fly from his buddies and wherever else possible, all in a quest to get as much money out of his father's collection as fast as possible.  (shrug)

That's what I was thinking. Well stated. And szav is right, both had the choice to wait until the next one but chose not to. Some nice books ending today too. Hope I get me one. :bigsmile:

On 3/31/2023 at 11:09 PM, szav said:

I think its most likely both consignors were offered the chance to move their books and neither wanted to, perhaps because they both wanted to get ahead of a possible downturn in the market, or they just needed or wanted money sooner rather than later.  There is money lost, opportunity cost, etc in waiting on the next auction.

I think there’s an argument to be made that the 7.0 would benefit from all the eyes on the 8.0.  If I were the 7.0 owner, that argument would have been somewhat persuasive. Together , the 2 Bats would achieve a bigger splash and draw out bigger money.

Of course it didn’t turn out that way, at all

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I'm grateful for the posted grader's notes in some of the auctions, I wish they were on all of them because after looking some up, I've crossed off most of my list. Not having things like "multiple pieces of tape" and "rusty staples" on the labels makes a lot more work.

Of course the notes that ARE posted sound a lot better ;)

Edit, I'm obviously not looking at 8.0's, but I'm surprised at some of the 5.5's and 6.5's.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 4/1/2023 at 4:11 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think there’s an argument to be made that the 7.0 would benefit from all the eyes on the 8.0.  If I were the 7.0 owner, that argument would have been somewhat persuasive. Together , the 2 Bats would achieve a bigger splash and draw out bigger money.

Of course it didn’t turn out that way, at all

Yeah, you would think the underbidders on the 8.0 would go for the 7.0 and drag the price up on the 7.0. But yeah, two copies in nearly the same grade take the “sparkle” out of them for me.

But Bats 1 seems like such a common book. Hard to get that excited over it anymore.

Interesting that the 8.0 has that special Fantast label. What’s up with that? Are they recognizing it in some special way? Did someone request (and pay more) for it? 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:08 AM, mstrange said:

Same book sold for $11,651.25 in 2018.  $14,400.00 in 2023.  Seems like a good very good deal.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, szav said:

I think its most likely both consignors were offered the chance to move their books and neither wanted to, perhaps because they both wanted to get ahead of a possible downturn in the market, or they just needed or wanted money sooner rather than later.  There is money lost, opportunity cost, etc in waiting on the next auction.

Agreed! There's a lot of variables to consider when it comes to selling your prized collectibles.  Trying to time the top or the bottom is an impossible feat. If it were that predictable, you would see more millionaires overnight. 

I'm sure the ones who thought comic book prices will go up much higher than it was in the back end of 2021 are now regretting that they didn't sell during the peak. Got too greedy and that's the price you pay for believing things will only go up. 

On 4/1/2023 at 6:57 AM, tth2 said:

But I think a 7.0 is close enough to a 8.0 that they could be tapping into the same collector base.

Most definitely as the 8.0 copy took a big beat down when compared to prior actual 8.0 sales and the 7.0 sold for what I assume would be much less than what was expected based upon relative graded sales.  :slapfight:  :slapfight:  :(

On 4/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, Professor K said:

Right out of the gate I got this with my one, only, and final bid. A cut bid. A book I've wanted for some time. Planning on sending to cgc even though I don't usually have the best luck with that. If anyone has any suggestions, opinions, advices, predictions on what cgc may do with it,  please give it to me straight. https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/action-comics-8-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vf-80-moderate-p-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94001.s 

l.jpg

Big congrats on being able to pick up what I considered to be one of the best non-Supes cover in the Action run and it appears that you are really killing it lately as this should also fit right in with that nice copy of National 7 with the classic Lou Fine underwater submarine cover that you also picked up recently.  :luhv:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2023 at 1:16 PM, Professor K said:

If anyone has any suggestions, opinions, advices, predictions on what cgc may do with it,

In my experience, they'll encase it in plastic, sealing it shut and making it impossible to read and enjoy.  YMMV.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:22 AM, atomised said:

Looks like someone is going to flip the Marvel Mystery Comics 4 1.5 I sold on HA in 2021 for $21,600 in this auction.  Curious to see where that lands.

Sold for $13,800. Congrats with the great sale previously! To be honest, I would be in for around $8k for this particular issue due to the Brittle pages.  You definitely made out like a bandit with this one!!

On 4/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, Dark Knight said:

Sold for $13,800. Congrats with the great sale previously! To be honest, I would be in for around $8k for this particular issue due to the Brittle pages.  You definitely made out like a bandit with this one!!

sold it during a weekly Sunday HA sale no less, thanks

On 4/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, buttock said:

Web of Mystery 8 in 7.0 for $6600.  Good lord. 

Formerly under-appreciated cover

WebMys8sm.jpg

On 4/1/2023 at 3:20 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Another WTF, 

Aliens #1 9.8 for White Pages for $7500.

Highest sale EVER was only $3350.

1988 comic. Movie's from 1979 or 80. I guess it's another example of people who were kids back then who now have some money bidding up books. Nostaligia is in the eye of the beholder.