• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

Regarding the hologram covering the custom label for the McFarlane SS books:

CGC got on this immediately. We have requested new labels be printed and rushed. We are hoping to have labels within a week, although Thanksgiving may affect this. All in-house books that have not been sent out are being held for the new labels. If a customer already received a book with the hologram covering the label, the best course of action is to reach out to the Sig Team and they will happily send Mechanical Error instructions so this can be fixed. Signatureseries@cgccomics.com 

This issue is only happening on the McFarlane scroll label, the Spawn label is good to go.

Thanks CGC Mike. Good news for sure! Glad i haven't gotten mine yet. :bigsmile:

On 11/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

CGC got on this immediately. We have requested new labels be printed and rushed. We are hoping to have labels within a week, although Thanksgiving may affect this. All in-house books that have not been sent out are being held for the new labels. If a customer already received a book with the hologram covering the label, the best course of action is to reach out to the Sig Team and they will happily send Mechanical Error instructions so this can be fixed. Signatureseries@cgccomics.com 

This issue is only happening on the McFarlane scroll label, the Spawn label is good to go.

Whatever they pay you, it's not enough!

:wink:

On 11/18/2022 at 6:19 PM, Qalyar said:

The case scuffing doesn't seem likely to be a supply-side problem (I'm sure they're not getting pre-scuffed cases), so there's probably some point in the process -- either somewhere in the actual encapsulation equipment, or in the physical transit from logistics supply to encapsulation to shipping -- where physically moving the slabs has a risk of rubbing against a surface and creating scuffs. It's clearly not something that happens all the time. I've never had a visibly scuffed slab. But it does seem to happen in batches since we see people with a whole boxes of scuffy plastic. That suggests that it's not random and makes me think encapsulation is the likely culprit. I would have whoever is in charge of encapsulation see whether there's a potential for a tech to do something a little bit wrong (moving slab components or the completed slab in or out of a machine too quickly, for example) that might result in these scratches.

I suppose I'd lean a bit more on the physical transit theory as the main cause of scuffing. Maybe these were scuffs already present on the slabs before encapsulating when they're more likely to be moved in larger stacks? Without knowing the process of transiting these slabs of plastic followed by the entire handling/encapsulation process once in CGC posession.... we could only make logical speculation the best we can. I've had a few re - holders come back with a very small scuff mark on the edge of the slab. No biggie doesn't bother at all.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:19 PM, Qalyar said:

The one that really baffles me is the plastic shards that get encapsulated from time to time. Hairs and random bits of dust or whatnot, sure. Those suck, and are going back for mechanical error reslabs, but I don't think anyone really expects the CGC encapsulation floor to be operated like a chip-fab clean room. But there shouldn't be random bits of broken plastic just hanging around. Those have to have broken off something, and it feels like that should be extremely easy to identify. We don't see lots and lots and lots of them, but they've been going on for a long time, and it's very strange to me, from an Operations Excellence standpoint, that they still happen.

In these cases where small debris manage to fall in the wrong place occasionally during a process of mass production I'd be more understanding. How many books do they encapsulate on a typical day? The numbers they have to pump out are probably mind blowing! I don't think these small shards or other debris are avoidable 100% of the time. The encapsulation experiments like you mentioned above might have been something they've done at least for the Newton ring problems. I'm thinking the label mishaps like the Mcfarlane label being obscured for example - are much more avoidable. It's not like they don't know where the cgc hologram is to be located. Thankfully they're on top of that situation👍

I should note the pieces of debris that get into the slab (but not in the vaccum seal) are removable. If it's in the vaccum seal there's no way. So It takes some doing but there is a way to get minor stuff like hairs or whatever out without cracking out the slab. I've done it a couple of times. 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

thanks for the update and your efforts @CGC Mike

this is good news

It's fairly obvious that this hologram/sig issue was going to be an problem. After all, it's been an issue for a verrry long time now with these labels. I'm kind of wondering about the qualifications people have that are involved in approving/designing these labels.

Either CGC didn't see this issue coming or they just didn't care. Which is preferable?

It's good that CGC is taking action, but it's bad that action needed to be taken in the first place.

Edited by Gaard

On 11/18/2022 at 6:54 PM, circuitryusa said:

I suspect this occurred sometime after grading and before encapsulation where my books got swapped with someone else's. Let's see what CGC says...

I wonder if your books were swapped for others accidentally or on purpose.  It's understandable with the volume of work and the time constraints on the process that some honest mistakes will occur.  Perhaps it's a co-incidence that it occurred with the most valuable of your submissions, but perhaps not.  And perhaps it's a co-incidence that NM and better copies are being returned to submitters with NM or better grades on the label, but the slab containing books that are in the VF range or worse, but perhaps not.  As I've written before, this is a grading integrity issue and the customer community should expect to have a matter of this importance addressed by CGC leadership and the response posted here on the Boards.  It's happening with alarming frequency now.

@CGC Mike

Edited by namisgr

On 11/19/2022 at 11:29 AM, Gaard said:

A great many posts here have been showing grader notes as having defects that are fixable with a press even after having gone thru CCS. To my knowledge, neither CGC nor CCS has commented.

ccs.jpg

They just give you the grade bump without fixing the issues...then the next guy sees that there are pressable defects, uses a different presser and presses them out and the grade stays the same. :jokealert:

On 11/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, Gaard said:

A great many posts here have been showing grader notes as having defects that are fixable with a press even after having gone thru CCS. To my knowledge, neither CGC nor CCS has commented.

It's not just the pressing defects... that is just more proof to me this is not my book ... if the other one was not subbed from #8->#50 and the #20 signed, maybe I would have chalked this up to very poor vision on my side... and accepted defeat on the #1.. BUT

I've submitted Qty-4 Sandman #1's... and of course, anyone not knowing me can be thinking I am making all this up, so I am providing my cert numbers for proof I think I know a 9.0+ when I submit one... so to see a 7.0, with those comments, I know for a fact that is NOT my copy... when it comes back, I'll compare photos. Yes I am biased towards me, but let's see.

On two of my subs, I was spot on, one of them went higher since I judge my own books pretty harshly and was pessimistic how good of a job CCS can do, but they nailed it and took my other 9.0 to a 9.4....

image.thumb.png.691d725fb06dc859f40a7937600f7489.png 

For the record, Customer Service hasn't responded yet. But I did email them middle-day Thursday, so I hope by Tuesday/Wednesday I'll get my first response (and not have to wait till after the holidays for the 1st response). :wishluck:

Edited by circuitryusa

On 11/19/2022 at 10:29 AM, Gaard said:

ccs.jpg

I submitted comics with my friend in a combined order.  They were sent to CCS and grading.  Many of the comics had press able defects you could see directly in the slab.  I would never use their service again.  Waste of time and money.  Subpar.

Edited by BEAUMONTS
spelling

On 11/19/2022 at 10:05 PM, BEAUMONTS said:

I submitted comics with my friend in a combined order.  They were sent to CCS and grading.  Many of the comics had press able defects you could see directly in the slab.  I would never use their service again.  Waste of time and money.  Subpar.

Had one pressed twice at CCS.   

Long story.

But same.  Still needs a press.

I know you're talking about the resto/custom label thing, but the first thing that I noticed was that apparently someone wanted a Spidey label on FF#40. Is Spidey in that issue or something?